Mark and Rebecca

Mark and Rebecca
Chick-fil-A Operator's Seminar 2011

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Three Weeks In...

Wow... this is the only word that I know to start our blog with.  It has been three weeks since the fire at our home.  My brother, Daniel, has decided that we should call it the Grand Whoha instead of the fire.  Anyway, it has been emotional, but so amazing at the same time.

One of the Pittsburgh Operators suggested that we  start a blog to keep everyone updated in Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and all over the US.  At first, I was very overwhelmed by the thought, but then I realized that so many people have been praying for us and would like to be updated.  We're only 28 years old, but through each step of our lives, we've been showered with love and support from so many people.  When we got married, the outpouring was overwhelming.  When we moved to Pittsburgh, the goodbyes were many and hard.  When we go out in the South Hills, we feel like we know so many people after only 2 years.  It's been amazing to see how God continues to provide such a strong support system for us no matter where we are because we needed it!  

I want to start our blog with the email that my mom sent out the day of the fire to let people know before she left to come up to Pittsburgh.  This will give everyone the basic story of what happened.  From now on, we will update the blog with progress reports on the house and baby, as well as specific requests!  Again- thank you for the overload of love, support, cards, and gifts.  We are truly blessed and know that God has a mighty plan that is slowly being revealed.

Hi everyone,
I am sending this because I have been communicating with some of you today and have no idea who I have told what to...
Also, I only have the email addresses shown here, so if you see someone else that should get this, please forward it. I have been trying to resurrect my email addresses without much success.

Mark and Rebecca had a horrible fire in their house today (in Pittsburgh).
Mark had gone into work early and Rebecca left the house at 11 am. She took a Chick-fil-A delivery and got back to the store at 11:40. At about 11:45 their neighbor called to say that their house was on fire and that he had called the fire department.

They only live about 3 minutes from the store so they got home immediately. Rebecca called me in hysterics. The fire dept was not even there yet. The house was fully engulfed in flames. She kept saying, "where are they"? I heard the trucks pull up and then she kept saying "why are they  going so slow". I was trying so hard to get the story from her and Mark was talking to a policeman. They were standing in the neighbor's yard in the back and the fire was mostly in the back of the house, Mark's office. Once they finally got water on the house, they got it out pretty quickly. 
It was so incredibly difficult to be so far away.

I told Rebecca to hang up and take pictures and I called Mark's parents cause he couldn't cause he was talking to the police.

A neighbor had rescued Mark and Rebecca's dog but they didn't know that Daniel's dog was in the basement in a crate. Mark went into the house and rescued Peanut. Daniel sobbed when he found out.

I called Chick-fil-A and told them to call Rebecca's good friend and get her over there right away. Miraculously, 2 good friends were there within minutes to hold them and comfort them, and give them good advice. Some neighbors came out and brought them coats and another neighbor took the dogs and put them into their fenced in backyard.

While I was talking to Rebecca, part of the roof caved in. 

So, here are the details:
They have a small cape cod house with 2 small bedrooms upstairs, a main floor with the living room, kitchen, their bedroom, bathroom and office and a basement. 
The main floor is a total loss. The fire started in the small office which is between the bedroom and bathroom. Daniel said that you can't even tell what was originally in the office. I have a picture but don't know how to upload.
It seems that a surge protector in the office shorted out. Ironic.
No one was hurt and they do have insurance. They do not, however, have anything else, every stitch of clothes is gone, Mark's glasses, their toothbrushes, so much. Daniel's letter jacket from school. all paperwork, all books, etc.

Rebecca is 4 months pregnant. I was very worried about shock for her. It is such a blessing that their friends got there so fast and could be with them. The fire captain told them that they would be out of the house about a year but that, when it was all said and done, they would have a new house.

I am leaving in the morning (Sunday) with Mark's mom to go up there and help them look for a place to live.. after I hold her and cry a lot.

They have a wonderful, Godly lady that Rebecca is in a Community Bible Study with, whom I have met and think is wonderful, who, along with her husband, has taken them into her home and is loving on them really good. They will probably stay with her for about a week, which is good.

The insurance co came and boarded up the house. They had to knock out all of the windows for the smoke to escape.
The adjuster will come Monday when I am there.

Um, that is all that I can think of for now.

I have no idea if I will have email access... potentially not. And I am sure that we will be crazy busy, so I will send an update next weekend.

Prayer requests:
Praise that everyone is ok, including the dogs and turtle!
Pray for Rebecca's emotional strength and for the baby.  (she has another doctor appt on Tuesday, so Kris and I will get to go with her)
Pray for Mark, who works so very hard and now has to deal with this.
Pray for Susan to not have her baby while I am gone.. although she is doing well and shouldn't have a problem.
Pray that they can find a place to live that will take dogs,,, this is VERY difficult.
Pray for anything else that I haven't thought of yet and for our 10 hour drive.

Thanks for your support.
Love, Cheryl






1 comment:

About Me

My photo
The Thornsberrys live in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Mark is the owner/operator of the Chick-fil-A at South Hills. Rebecca does all his marketing and community relations at Chick-fil-A. We moved here from Atlanta, GA in February 2009. We are expecting our first child in September 2011.